Thursday, May 17, 2007

Traffic Light Rage

The worst intersection in Vancouver... the absolute worst... is the traffic light clusterfuck at Terminal and Main/Quebec. Who designed these intersections? Did anyone do an analysis of what the optimal traffic light timings would be? It certainly doesn't seem that way.

You'll be waiting at a red light for what seems like at least five minutes (which is really an eternity for a traffic light), have it turn green for fifteen seconds, and be unable to proceed because the section of road in front of you is completely full and waiting for their own traffic light to turn green.

I can't believe there haven't been more road rage incidents at these intersections.

Every time I have to traverse these asphalt minefields, I'm sure I'm shaving a day off my life expectancy. Which is troubling, considering that my drive to and from work routes me through this twice a day.

Of course, with all the construction going on in Vancouver right now in anticipation of the 2010 Winter Olympics, these intersections are becoming competitive:

1 comment:

Kyenta said...

Trying to catch a bus anywhere near Cambie and Broadway is utterly ridiculous! Tried this morning on my way to work from the orthodontist's office - finally gave up and walked back up Cambie and Broadway to Ash to catch a bus, any bus.

Can not wait until the Olympics are over and we get our city back!!!