Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fire(works) Walk With Me

I hadn't planned on going to watch the Celebration of Light fireworks this year, having gone at least once a year, if not more, ever since I moved to Vancouver. Plus I thought it was probably prudent to skip a year, considering how busy my life has become of late. Kyenta and I are moving to East Van in just a few days and we had to get a bunch of packing done on the weekend.

At around half past nine, we had just finished packing for the day when Kyenta turned to me and said, "You know, this is probably the last time we'll be able to walk to the fireworks."

Right now, we're about a thirty minute walk to Kits Beach, which is a prime viewing location. Once we move, we'll have to drive to see them -- although we'll still park south of Broadway and walk the rest of the way to avoid the crazy post-fireworks pedestrian traffic.

We scrambled out the door and just made it to the beach when the fireworks exploded into action.


The fireworks themselves were great, but the musical selection was a bizarre medley of opera lite, pop rock, and vegas glam: Sting, U2, Andrea Bocelli, Celine Dion.

We walked back home amidst the throng, enjoying the cool night and the slight breeze.

I'm going to miss living here.

No comments: